[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Journal Rankings

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2004
      An assistant professor writes
      In case you need a topic for your weblog: what about journal rankings for theoretical computer science journals? I was looking for something like that for my tenure portfolio. The only web-info I found on the topic was here whose reliability is hard to judge.
      Thanks, I am always looking for topics. Journal rankings do not have as strong a perceived ranking in computer science due to the import we give to conferences. Nevertheless, deans like to classify journal articles in computer science like they do for other fields and ask for a ranking.

      Here's how I rank theory journals.

      1. Journal of the ACM.
      2. SIAM Journal on Computing.
      3. A large equivalence class of every other major theory journal.
      4. Information Processing Letters which publishes short articles that don't merit publication in the above.
      Any ordering of journal consistent with this list is okay though even here we have considerable fluctuation. In most theory journals the editor-in-chief rarely overrules the associate editors recommendations and thus have about the same average acceptance criteria. JACM has the tightest quality controls but still occasionally publishes some weaker papers and quite a few mediocre papers appear in SICOMP though I still rate it higher than the rest.

      Special issues rank higher, especially those devoted to the best papers of a strong conference. On the other hand, I put no faith on the quality of theory papers that appear in non-theory and especially non-CS journals no matter how they are ranked in their respective field. More than a few rather weak CS papers have appeared in Science, the gold standard for many other scientific disciplines.

      --
      Posted by Lance to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 7/28/2004 03:03:03 PM