[My Computational Complexity Web Log] Page Charges

    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2004
      The Journal of the ACM has started asking for page charges.
      Author's institutions or corporations are requested to honor a page charge of $60.00 per printed page or part thereof, to help defray the cost of publication. Page charges apply to all contributions. Payment of page charges is not a condition of publication; editorial acceptance of a paper is unaffected by payment or nonpayment.
      SIAM also recently asked us for $72/page for a Journal on Computing paper.

      I despise page charges. Authors do the research, write the papers, give the journals the copyright and now the journals want us to pay for the privilege. I know the charges are optional and come from research funds but we have other needs for the money. The page charges on a moderate-sized paper could, for example, send a grad student or two to a major conference.

      We have problems in our field with expensive for-profit journals and papers that never appear in refereed journals at all. We need to encourage authors to send their articles to journals run by the non-profit societies. We should not then send them a bill for doing the right thing.

      --
      Posted by Lance Fortnow to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 5/8/2004 07:10:14 AM