[Computational Complexity] The Jobs Bio

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 21, 2011
      I just finished the Walter Isaacson biography of Steve Jobs. Seems like everyone in the blogosphere has analyzed every sentence in the book, so I won't do that.

      Instead I viewed the book as a trip down memory lane. The Apple II was my second computer and while I never owned a Mac you can't avoid them in the CS community. My family has by now gone through a dozen or so iPod/iPhone/iPad devices.

      The biography opens up the curtain and you get to see the man behind these devices. Jobs was not a computer scientist or even a computer engineer. He was a designer who understood computers enough to make them beautiful and make them work better. His simplicity sometimes goes too far, I like the context-sensitive menus from a right mouse button and often double click the one button on my iPhone instead of single click or vice-versa.

      I found myself least interested in Jobs' personal life, most of the problems he dealt with were of his own doing. He wasn't a nice guy and often got upset with people who don't share his values. But he also knew how good technology should work and we're better off for it.

      I love reading biographies of successful people, you really get to see a fuller picture both the good and the bad. If Steve Jobs isn't your thing, try Isaacson's bio on Einstein instead, another great read.

      --
      Posted By Lance Fortnow to Computational Complexity at 11/20/2011 07:03:00 PM