[Computational Complexity] Will there be a 50th CCC? Will you be there?

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2010
      At the 25th CCC Juris Hartmanis gave a great talk to celebrate having a 25th. Will there be a 50th? I asked people at the conference. What did they say? Watch the video!

      So what do you think? Will there be a 50th CCC? Will you be there?

      Will there be conferences?
      1. Comp Sci may grow up.
      2. We may videotape the talks more. Then NSF will stop paying people to go since you can see the talks anyway. So less people will go. This is part of a more general trend where as a society we are sacrificing community for efficiency.
      Will there be Complexity theory?
      1. The field will still be vibrant, P vs NP will still be unsolved.
      2. L=RL may be proven.
      3. Some form of the Unique Game Conjecture may be proven or disproven.
      4. If GI is in P we may see that proven within 25 years. If GI is not in P then I doubt we'll see that proven within 25 years.
      5. If Ketan's Geometric Complexity approach begins to work we may change the name to Conference on Applied Algebraic Geometry and Representation Theory.
      6. If we find more and more about what we cannot do and less and less about what we can do, we may change the name to The Barrier's Conference.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/21/2010 08:56:00 AM