[Computational Complexity] How Can You Spend $150 Million?
- Suppose you happen to have $150 million burning in your pocket that you want to use to help the theoretical computer science community ($150 million endowed will bring in about $6 million/year) How would you use it?
$150 million doesn't go as far as it used to. In 1992, Henry Rowan gave $100 million to Glassboro State College in New Jersey, now called Rowan University. How much would it cost to get your name on a university today (say at a large private Midwestern university with a geographically confusing name)?
- Create an Institute for Theory of Computing?
- Endow a few theory conferences?
- Create a 150 millennium prizes?
- Build a fancy new CS building?
- Endow 25-30 professorships or a 75-100 postdocs?
- Hire lots of Fields medalists at ridiculous salaries only if they spend all their time working on the P v NP question?
- Something else?
Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 9/14/2010 06:28:00 AM