[Computational Complexity] ***SORELLE*** PHD!!/Workshop on Boolean Threshold ...

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2010
      Three annoucements (the last two I was asked to post)

      ANNOUCEMENT 1: Congrads to fellow blogger ***SORELLE*** who got her PhD recently. I was on her committee. She did a masterful job of presenting it. It looked like theory that can be applied to stuff. At least Google, who hired her, might think so. Or they might think (correctly) that she is smart and knows things so she can help them. See her post about her PhD for more information and a pointer to her actual thesis.

      ANNOUCEMENT 2: Rocco Servedio and Ryan O'Donell have requested that I post about upcoming workshop at the Center for Computational Intractability in Princeton.

      The topic is Analysis and Geometry of Boolean Threshold Functions. It will take place the Thursday and Friday morning before FOCS, Oct. 21--22. For detailed information, please see: here There is also a poster here.

      COMMENT FROM GASARCH: Its right before FOCS but its NOT close to FOCS. It is in Princeton NJ. FOCS is in Las Vegas. Not sure this makes sense but I suppose they will find out.

      ANNOUCEMENT 3: Tracy Kimball at NSF has requested this annoucement be posted.

      CISE has announced a new funding opportunity administered jointly with the Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences (SBE). The new program is called ICES (Interface between Computer Science and Economics and Social Sciences). You'll find the all the details about ICES here. Be sure to read the whole solicitation and click through to the non-exhaustive list of example topics as well. ICES seeks to fund interdisciplinary work at one particular boundary between computer science and economics & social sciences. As always with anything new at NSF, there will be lots of questions. Email CISE/CCF Program Director Tracy Kimbrel (tkimbrel@...), SBE/SES Program Director Nancy Lutz (nlutz@...), CISE/IIS Program Director Sven Koenig (skoenig@...), or CISE/CNS Program Director Darleen Fisher (dlfisher@...) and we will do our best to answer the questions. If you're wondering Is my project suitable for ICES? be sure to include a one or two page description with your email because that will help us with the answer. The deadline for submitting proposals to ICES is October 5, 2010.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 8/25/2010 11:21:00 AM