[Computational Complexity] The Lefthanded Latino Lesbians in Algebraic Topolo...

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28, 2010

      There was a Women in Theory Workshop at Princeton From June 19-23. ***SORELLE***, who was there, has some intelligent and interesting things to say about it here.. I will, instead, offer up a question.

      I was at a Ramsey Theory Workshop in Italy and it was noted that of the 27 people there, none were women. Is there a shortage of Women in Ramsey Theory? Is this a problem? I suspect there is a shortage, however Ramsey Theory is too small an area to worry about it. Hence I doubt there will ever be a Women in Ramsey Theory Workshop.

      Should there be a African-Americans in Theory Workshop? There are so few that it would end up being a bunch of non-African-Americans discussing why there so few African-Americans in Theory. To have a workshop analogous to the Women in Theory Workshop you need a larger critical mass. How many African-Americans are in Theory? What if I drop the requirement they must be American? I honestly don't know but I suspect its not that many. (If I am wrong then please let me know in the comments.)

      Let A be an area (e.g, Recursive Algebraic Topology) and P be a subset of people (e.g., Left handed Latino Lesbians). When does a on P in A Workshop make sense? If A is too small then it would not make sense. If there are very few P's in A then there really can't be a such a workshop unless its mostly non-P's discussing why there are so few P's in A. If P is too big then there may not be a need for such a workshop; however, there may still be if there are issues facing P's that are not facing non-P's.
      1. There have been African Americans in Mathematics Workshop. Here A is big enough and P is above critical mass.
      2. According to this 24% of all lawyers are female and 44% of all law students are female. There may still be a need for workshops for female lawyers as they may face issues that male lawyers do not. Here was one: A Transformational Workshop for Women Lawyers.
      3. Male Nurses are few in number, but there are some and I suspect they have problems that women nurses do not have. I do not know if they have workshops, but they do have their own magazine here.
      What other workshops or conferences or whatnot on these types of issue have there been?

      Most conferences hope that they will last a long time (e.g., We just had the 25th CCC. I hope there is a 50th). I suspect that the participants in the Women in Theory Workshop hope that these workshops are eventually not needed.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 6/28/2010 10:03:00 AM