[Computational Complexity] Alternative Careers for Logicians

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2010
      (Will post on Complexity next week. I am waiting until the invited talks have their slides online so that I can point to them.)

      Lets say you just got a PhD in Logic. (ASIDE- my spell check program flagged PhD, but it gets 54,000,000 hits on Google so it has to be correct.) The job market is not so good. That is, the academic job market is not so good. I have recently been alerted to two alternative career paths one could take.
      1. Get a job on Wall Street! You are probably thinking Oh, they want people that are good at math and can program. While that is true, they actually want people who know about ordinals! Ordinals? Yes Ordinals! See here.
      2. Peter Cholak is a logician at Notre Dame who has had seven PhD students finish. Two of them went then went to Catholic seminary and become Catholic priests.
      What to make of this? In American there is a priest shortage (see here for an article about it that mentions the law of large numbers). Hence the priesthood is a good job market. Are there other logicians-turned-priests? In this day and age I suspect there are not that many. In an earlier time when neither field required the kind of training they do now, there may have been more.

      The job market for Protestant Ministers and Rabbis is not very good (See Protestant Ministers and Rabbis.) I was unable to find out how the job market is for Imam's.

      I suspect that the decision to go into any of these fields is more of a calling than having a keen eye on the job market. Peter Cholak's two logician-turned-priest students just got their calling a bit late. They were both at the Fifth Conference on Logic, Computability, and Randomness so they are both trying to keep up some with logic. That may be hard; however, they may have help from up above.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 6/17/2010 10:14:00 AM