[Computational Complexity] Gadget Love

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2010
      Many of my fellow CS theorists are surprisingly technophobes. Don't own a cell phone. Begrudgingly got a credit card but still refuse to buy anything online. Still read email by typing "mail" at the unix prompt. Maybe they don't trust technology, but mostly they just can't be bothered--takes away valuable theorem proving time.

      Then there are those who love to tinker. Spend an hour writing an emacs macro to save ten minutes of manual editing. Writes an iPhone app just to see how it is done. I used to be like that.

      These days I'm more of a gadget person. An incredible amount of technology put into a little device that does lots of useless things or sometimes one thing very well. And I'm at that point in my life where I can afford them. My wife complains a bit but she realizes that all my gadgets combined are considerably cheaper than a sports car or a mistress.

      Some of my favorites (beyond the laptop/Kindle/iPhone/iPad)

      TomTom - A GPS combined with some shortest path algorithms can get me from here to there. But it takes a great user interface to make it easy to use. My old TomTom died after many good years. Replaced it with the TomTom app on my iPhone.

      Satellite Radio - Commercial-free music. Lots of variety. Great sound that doesn't fade when you leave the city. Worth it for the Met Opera broadcasts alone.

      Tivo - I've been time-shifting TV shows since the VCR first came out. But Tivo pioneered the DVR with a great interface that no one else has matched.

      Wii - The graphics aren't as cool as the PS3 or Xbox but just pure fun playing with the kids.

      I don't really have time to watch that much TV or play the Wii. Too bad.

      Squeezebox Duet - Just a simple device that lets me stream music wirelessly into my stereo. I use this device more than the others because I like to work and read to music.

      Plenty to keep me happy. At least until those new 3-D TVs come out...

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/04/2010 07:51:00 AM