[Computational Complexity] The Pad

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2010

      So I broke down and bought the iPad. Many people have asked whether the iPad is worth buying. The short answer: It will be.

      There are many many iPad reviews out there on the web so what can I add? It wins as an entertainment device. My favorite apps so far: Netflix (streaming looks great), Instapaper, The Weather Channel (TWC Max+) and of course MLB. Oddly enough no built-in calculator but the Wolfram Alpha app is pretty cheap now and there is the free Pcalc Lite.

      Books look much prettier on the iPad than the Kindle but for reading for a long stretch I prefer the Kindle. Feels more comfortable on my middle-aged eyes.

      Based on some suggestions from my Twitter followers, I bought the iAnnotate PDF app which offers some great mark-up tools from PDF. But it is really difficult to move files to the app. I still haven’t figured out how to do it on Northwestern’s network. The next version of iAnnotate should make it easier to move files but Apple really needs a standard way for applications to share documents so I can download from Safari into programs like iAnnotate.

      I hope Google optimizes their docs for the iPad. I’d love to be able to edit them.

      Supposedly multitasking comes in the fall. But right now I can run two tasks at a time by running one of them on my iPhone. Don’t laugh--I can now stream baseball games while surfing the web.

      To make it a reasonable laptop replacement to take on trips, we’ll need someone to write a full-featured latex app including an editor along the lines of winedt. Would be considerable work but it could be done. I’d pay $50 for it. Also the iPad will need someway to connect to a projector.

      I just have too many gadgets now: iPhone, iPad, Kindle and a laptop. I could imagine wanting to travel with all of them but at some point that just gets ridiculous. I keep hoping one day we’ll have one gadget to rule them all but I guess a device that fits in my pocket with a big screen and keyboard was just not meant to be.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/16/2010 08:37:00 AM