[Computational Complexity] What Makes a Lecture "Distiguished"?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2010
      In January I gave a Distinguished Lecture in the CS Department at the University of Alberta. In early March I gave essentially the same lecture at Penn State in their regular CSE colloquium. What's the difference?

      One is audience. At my Alberta lecture I got a large turnout from the broad CS department. In regular colloquiums I usually just get the CS Theory types and people I know, though at Penn State I happen to know faculty ranging from pure logicians to experimental economists.

      I'm more likely to accept an invite as a distinguished lecturer. I don't usually travel to give a regular seminar talk unless I'm using it as an excuse to visit specific people and I didn't really know anyone at Alberta well save for one former NEC colleague.

      Perhaps the biggest difference is attitude. As a distinguished lecturer, people want to talk to me, my schedule is booked solid shuffling from office to office much like an interview trip. People want to hear what I have to say because I was "distinguished". I have no shortage of opinions and I always like an audience willing to hear them.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/09/2010 07:48:00 AM