[Computational Complexity] SIGACT Social Networking

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2010
      STOC conference and hotel registration now live. Early registration deadline is April 30th. Registration for Complexity and Electronic Commerce coming soon. You can now submit your papers to FOCS, deadline 11 PM Eastern on Wednesday.

      We are in the midst of reorganizing the SIGACT web presence. We have redesigned the SIGACT website now under the supervision of Amit Chakrabarti. As I've announced here before we have a new blog Theory Announcements that collects a broad set of TCS related announcements including from TheoryNet and DMANet. If you have an event or announcement you want to appear there, please submit it to one of those mailing lists.

      But the days that one needs a theory portal are gone. Google and other search engines work well if you want information on a specific conference, journal or researcher. But what you do need is something to guide you through the clutter. Right now you have to rely on a network of theory bloggers and tweeters to keep you informed. But even then you get important theory information mixed in with personal stuff you may not care about (or vice versa).

      So I've started a @sigact twitter where we will point to important information and news relating to the theory community. Recent tweets will also appear on the SIGACT home page. Lets me focus my own twitter and this blog away from announcements (like this one) and more on giving our opinions of the important issues of the theory community.

      But that's only the start. We'll continue to search new ways to serve the needs of the theory community: a revamped theory calendar, some sort of jobs database, Facebook and other social networks, and a killer iPad/iPhone app. I don't really have plans for an iPad/iPhone app or know what should go in it but I'd love to have one.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 4/02/2010 05:55:00 AM