[Computational Complexity] Traveling Too Much

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2010
      Three recent happenings made me think about the amount I travel.

      • I hit the 50K club (Premier Executive) in United for the first time last year. At first I was excited about the extra perks. But then got depressed over so much time away from the family.
      • The movie Up in the Air
      • A family friend recently died during a business trip. In his hotel room. Alone. Could have been me.

      And according to United I've already traveled 18,641 miles in 2010.

      I don't like the hassle of traveling. The excitement of visiting new lands has long past.

      So why do I travel? The one-word answer: People. I like to meet my fellow colleagues, talk with them, make myself, my group, my field known and help shape future research. When you travel people make time for you and you make time for them in a way email and conference calls can't do.

      Nevertheless I will make an effort to travel less, certainly while I have those last few precious years before my kids go off into the world. If you invite me some place and I turn you down, don't take it personally. I'm just trying to bring back some sanity into my life.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/30/2010 07:54:00 AM