[Computational Complexity] Notes to My Dad

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2010
      My father Paul passed away thirty years ago today. Five years ago I wrote about some of the lessons I learned from him.

      Suppose I could go contact him back into time. What would I tell him?

      I could tell him about his beautiful granddaughters.

      I could tell him that his Red Sox won another world series in 2007 but some things don't change, it's the Yankees who are reigning champs.

      I could tell him about a device in my pocket called an "iPhone" that lets me contact anyone, access nearly all public information and it plays music and movies too. A big improvement over the Sony Walkman.

      I could tell him about how easily we can search for the most trivial information. I learned that he wrote a review article when I was just a baby, that the house he grew up in was torn down and replaced with the Marshfield city hall, and that he died just about the same time that JR was shot

      I could tell him the answer to the biggest mystery of his generation: FBI Agent Mark Felt was Deep Throat.

      But most of I would tell my father that taking one children's aspirin every day reduces the risk of heart attacks and maybe, just maybe, I'd be telling him these things in person.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/21/2010 06:36:00 AM