[My Computational Complexity Web Log] John Lewis

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 22, 2004
      [From Chris Fuchs]

      Dear friends in the quantum information and foundations communities,

      Many of you may not know it, but the concept of a generalized quantum measurement or positive-operator-valued measure was introduced in

      E. B. Davies and J. T. Lewis, "An Operational Approach to Quantum Probability," Communications in Mathematical Physics 17, 239-260 (1970).

      Last night, John Lewis passed away here in Dublin, his home of 28 years, from complications due to a recent surgery. He was a good man, honest and upright, and left us a deep legacy. He will be missed.

      --
      Posted by Lance Fortnow to My Computational Complexity Web Log at 1/22/2004 08:05:05 AM