[Computational Complexity] HW policies: PROS and CONS

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2010
      The last blog entry had lots of good comments about different HW policies. I enumerate them and say PROS and CONS
      1. Hard Deadline. PRO- uniform, no favoritism, can post HW Solutions or go over HW in class as soon as it is handed in. CON- there could be legitimate reasons for lateness that are short of a doctors note. CON- you want the student to DO the HW even if it will be late. CON- you need to be TOUGH to say NO.
      2. Moral Deadline (what I do, see last post). Same as Hard Deadline, but its a bit easier to say NO.
      3. Penalty for lateness. PRO- the students will still do the HW. CON- delay in posting solution. CON- slackers are still slackers. ODDITY- the penalty is supposed to discourage lateness. But it may encourage it (gee, 10% off if I hand it in one day late. OKAY, its a deal)
      4. Look at late HW only if they affect the final grade. PRO- less to look at likely, CON- Don't really want to keep track of these things. CON- student may not be discouraged from handing things in late.
      5. Only count (say) 10 of the 12 HWs, and have HARD DEADLINES. PRO- same as HARD DEADLINE. CON- students will blow off 2 HW's, possibly the last two which may be important for the final. CAVEAT- raises the much bigger question of whether to treat students like adults or like ...students.
      6. Students get x number of late days (this one was new to me). PRO- well defined rule, flexible but no favoritism. CON- delay in posting solutions. CON- keeping track of it.
      7. If you miss a HW then the others will count more (up to some limit). PRO- uniform. CON- students may still miss some HW they should do.
      8. HW are OPTIONAL. PRO- they sink or swim on their own. CON- they sink or swim on their own.
      Diff topic- how much to COUNT HW? I often count it low (like 10-20 percent) so that I don't' have to worry too much about cheating. Actually I think its GOOD if students help each other but BAD if students copy each other, but it can be hard to tell.

      Which of these work best? Depends alot on the school and the course and even the profs willingness to say NO.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 3/09/2010 09:38:00 AM