[Computational Complexity] A HW policy- MORAL due date.

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2010
      This semester I am using the following HW policy.
      HW is due on Tuesday. However, your dog died! Hence you get an extension to Thursday. That is, for all people in the class I assume you have a quasi-legit reason to ask for an extension to Thursday. Hence you can hand it in Thursday for full credit. However, if you want an extension past that you will not get it since I already gave you an extension to Thursday. (There may be some severe exceptions which will have to be documented.)
      1. This will save alot of time in terms of students asking permission to hand it in late since I will say I already have you an extension and you are asking for another one?
      2. Some students will get into the habit of handing it in Thursday. This is okay so long as they do not ask for an extension past that.
      3. Clyde tells me that this is really a cheat- the HW really is due Thursday. I may have a higher moral ground when telling them they can't hand it in later than Thursday, but they will still feel that they deserve an extension if their dog dies on Wednesday. My response: they do not.
      4. I do make sure that they have enough knowledge to do the HW by Tuesday.
      5. I am teaching one Junior-Senior class and one honors-class so these are already pretty good students. They (I hope) know what I mean when I say that they cannot ask for an extension past Thursday. Also they will likely not need them. I have not tried this in a Freshman class. I would like to but they are usually co-taught and large so it would be harder to manage.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 3/08/2010 09:28:00 AM