[Computational Complexity] Is Math too hard?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2010
      Are humans good at Math?

      In the movie Oh God Book II God (played by George Burns) says that Math was a mistake, I made it too hard!. While I am reluctant to contradict God, George Burns, or God as portrayed by George Burns, scientists have found evidence that people are pretty good at math. At least people have known about numbers for a far longer time than previously thought. See this article. What does this mean for us? The next time one of your students says I can't do this! I'm just not that good at math! you can tell them that this is just not true.

      An Aside: Before posting this I wanted to verify that that quote really was in that movie. I would have thought it would be a quote that math people, or people who think math is hard, or math people who know math is hard, would remember. When I googled it all I could find was a comment on this blog entry of Scott's by Bill Gasarch. Not what I would call a confirmation. It may be that my quote is not quite exact. If anyone knows for sure (e.g., has the DVD and checks it) let me know.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 2/26/2010 09:27:00 AM