[Computational Complexity] How to tell how good a TV show is

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009
      (This is my last blog of the year. Lance will interupt his blog sabbatical to do an END OF THE YEAR blog later.)

      The TV show MONK recently finished its 8th and final season. My wife and I are big fans and have seasons 1-7 on DVD (and we will get 8). But this post is not about Monk. Its about the question: How to determine how good a TV show is? I am sure that whatever I say here may apply to other problems.

      First assign to each episode a number between 1 and 10 depending on how much you liked it. (This could be the hardest part of the method.) Let t be a parameter to be picked later. t stands for threshold. If your criteria is How likely is it that an episode is OUTSTANDING? then you would pick t large, perhaps 9. If your criteria is How likely is it that an epsidoes DOESN"T SUCK? then you would pick t small, perhaps 2. Some of the methods use t, some do not.

      There are many different ways to do this. We give a few of them:

      There are many different ways to do this. We give a few of them:
      1. The mean or median of all of the episodes.
      2. The probability that a randomly chosen episode is rated above t. (Could also get into prob that it is within one standard deviation from t.)
      3. The probability that a randomly chosen disc has an episode rated above t.
      4. The probability that a randomly chosen disc has fraction f of its episodes rated above t.
      5. Rate each disc in the DVD set for the entire season. The mean or median of all of these ratings.
      6. The mean or median of the best season.
      7. The mean or median of the worst season.
      There are others as well. But the question really is, given a set of numbers grouped in a natural way (in this case roughly 8 sets of 16 numbers, and each set of 16 in groups of 4) how do you judge the quality?
      For those who are fans of the show MONK here are my choices for OUTSTANDING and UNWATCHABLE episodes: here

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 12/22/2009 11:02:00 AM