[Computational Complexity] If FACEBOOK the new email?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009
      Back in 1993 I had the following conversation with one of my relatives:

      BILL: Just give me your email address and I'll email it to you.

      RELATIVE: I don't have an email account. Why would I? Only you techno-geeks need email.

      In 1994 I had the following conversation with the same relative:

      BILL: Just give me your postal address and I'll mail it to you.

      RELATIVE: Better- I'll give you my email address.

      BILL: I thought you didn't have an email account.

      RELATIVE: Only a techno-geek like you wouldn't know that everyone has email now.

      At one time most people (outside of academia) did not have email. Now everyone has email. It is quite standard to have email on business cards and to ask for someones email address (are business cards still standard?).

      I have run into people who are surprised that I don't have a FACEBOOK page. But here is the question: will having a FACEBOOK page be on the same level as having email in that everyone is expected to have it, and if you don't then you are just so 2005? My question is not tied to FACEBOOK per se--- I really mean will it be standard to be in some social network. Is having a webpage already standard?

      (NOTE: My spell program tells me that its FACEBOOK not Facebook or facebook. So at least this time the capitol letters are not my idea.)

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 11/09/2009 03:25:00 PM