[Computational Complexity] The Molly Solution

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2009
      This week Bill and I are both at the Dagstuhl Workshop on Algebraic Methods in Computation Complexity. I'll try to cover some of the talks and discussions on the blog and on Twitter.

      Called home last night and had the following conversation with my 11-year old daughter.

      Molly: I was thinking about this P/NP problem. What do P and N stand for?

      Lance: You probably won't understand but P stands for "Polynomial-Time" and N stands for "Nondeterministic"

      Molly: Well, if P and N were random variables then P=NP if N equals one.

      An old joke, but my daughter had figured it out all on her own. So I answered her with the obvious response.

      Lance: Or if P equals zero.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 10/12/2009 07:21:00 AM