[Computational Complexity] The Journal Manifesto 2.0

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2009
      Reminder: FOCS early registration deadline today. Go here

      Below is a revised version of the Journal Manifesto. I restate the key sentence from my last post and then redo the manifesto in light of the (very enlightening!) comments that my last post got.
      However, I have a Manifesto: a list of actions that we as individuals can do to make the academic world a better place.
      Keep in mind: I am NOT talking to the NSF or to Journal publishes or to Conference organizers. I am NOT going to say what any of these people should do. I am talking to US, the authors of papers. If WE all follow this manifesto then the problems of high priced journals and limited access may partially go away on their own. To be briefer: To the extend that WE are the problem, WE can be the solution.

      REQUEST: Leave as comments a simple YES if you agree with the manifesto and a NO and a reason if you do not. I may set this up as a formal online thing that people can sign off on if there is enough interest.

      Preamble: We academics publish papers so they can be read. We want anyone in the world to be able to read our papers. We do not expect any money in exchange. Here is what we can all do to facilitate this, not just for our papers but for everyones papers.
      1. Whenever you publish a paper in a conference or journal, post it on your website AND on some appropriate archive. Also post improvements if there are some (the version on your website may be better than the one in the journal!). You would think this is standard practice by now, but alas, it is not. In particular AS SOON AS YOU SUBMIT the final version to a conference it should go on your website. The fact that 12 papers from FOCS 2009 are still not online shows that there is plenty of improvement to be made on our end.
      2. If you give a talk on a paper then post the slides and if possible a video of the talk, along with the paper, on your website. On the archives perhaps post a link to the slides and video.
      3. If you have old papers that are not available on line (it is common go to a website and see only papers past, say, 1995, are online) then get them scanned in (some schools do this for you) and put them on your website. Do not be humble. That is, do not think Nobody cares about that old paper. Somebody might.
      4. If you goto a website and it has a link to a paper, but the link does not work, then email the website owner. Do not be shy. I have done this with some of the best people in our field and they have been grateful.
      5. When you write a paper make sure that all of the bibliography entries include all links where the paper is available: the journal website, the authors website, some archives. If people follow items 1,2,3,4 above then the issue of What if the journals is not online? will become irrelevant. There may still be a problem with older articles; however, this will also become irrelevant over time.
      6. If you gather up papers in an area for your own use, then you may want to make a website out of them. I have done this with the Erdos Distance Problem, Private Information Retrieval, Constructive lower bounds on Ramsey Numbers, Applications of Ramsey Theory, and of course VDW Theorem stuff. There may be some legal issues here, and also some issues of what the publishers will enforce. I have no guidelines to offer, so I leave it to you. However, I will note that I've had my {\it applications of Ramsey Theory} site up for at least 5 years with no problem. Also, not that this point is optional. I suspect that, more than the other items, its one that people think other people should do. (I understand that it can be a pain in the neck to maintain such sites.) THIS ITEM IS OPTIONAL.
      7. If you get a contract to write a book make sure they allow you to post it free online. Blown to Bits, by Abelson, Ledeen, and Lewis is available this way. So is A=B by Petkovsek, Wilf, and Zeilberger. (I understand that if you are writing an undergrad textbook and expect to make real money on it then you may not want to do this.)

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 10/01/2009 09:43:00 AM