[Computational Complexity] The Netflix Prize and the Sequel

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2009
      Nearly three years ago I posted on the just announced Netflix prize. First to a 10% increase in the quality of the movie recommendations would receive a million dollars, coincidently the same amount one would get for settling P v. NP. Three years later in an exciting finish, Belkor's Pragmatic Chaos gives their best solution 20 minutes before an equally good solution from The Ensemble. Details from the New York Times and Netflix Blog.

      Computer science got a nice boost of publicity when the contest started and a little bit less with the end, I think because of the big lag before the contest ended on July 26th and the final results announced yesterday. Still good to get some positive CS press after trading algorithms (and by consequence computer science) get some of the blame for the financial crisis.

      Netflix got both publicity and nicer algorithms from the contest. So they will do it again this time with demographic and historical data.

      Meanwhile P v. NP remains open.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 9/22/2009 06:51:00 AM