[Computational Complexity] An apology for Turing may be in the works

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2009
      Recall that Alan Turing
      1. helped Britain win WW II with his breaking the enigma,
      2. was a brilliant mathematician who was one of the founders of our field
      3. was prosecuted for being a homosexual by the British Government,
      4. was forced to take chemicals to cure him of it,
      5. committed suicide (almost surely because of the drugs and prosecution),
      There is now a movement in England to have posthumous apology to Alan Turing (see here) by the British Government. I suspect that most of the readers of this blog would agree with such. I do also. But see next paragraph.

      Does one need to help the war effort and be a brilliant mathematician to get the apology? I think they should lower the standard to the following: you need to have either helped the war effort or be a brilliant mathematician to get the apology. Or how about anyone who was persecuted under those laws? Should Britain offer a blanket apology? Would that weaken the impact? I don't know? Perhaps the question is also- what are they trying to achieve?

      Whatever apology they end up giving I would like to see it accompanied by legislation that Turing would have approved of (Marriage Equality? Anti-Discrimination? Hate crime legislation? More Grant money in Recursion Theory? AI?) Or maybe an award in his name.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 9/09/2009 12:34:00 PM