[Computational Complexity] Time for Computer Science to Grow Up

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2009
      The August CACM has my viewpoint article Time for Computer Science to Grow Up about the urgent need for conference reform.
      Our conference system forces researchers to focus too heavily on quick, technical, and safe papers instead of considering broader and newer ideas. Meanwhile, we have devoted much of our time and money to conferences where we can present our research that we can rarely attend conferences and workshops to work and socialize with our colleagues.

      Computer science has grown to become a mature field where no major university can survive without a strong CS department. It is time for computer science to grow up and publish in a way that represents the major discipline it has become.
      I argue that computer science uses conferences to play the role of reputation that journals play in other fields for reputation but then conferences no longer focus on the more important role of bringing out community together.

      If you don't have ACM access, you can download the pre-publication PDF.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 7/24/2009 05:18:00 AM