[Computational Complexity] California Nightmare

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2009
      I received a tiny raise for the next academic year but at least it is positive. Many of my academic colleagues have salary freezes or small cuts and many public institutions are having unpaid "furloughs" which for professors means the same amount of work for less pay. But nothing compares to how the best state university system in the country is being hit by the California budget crisis. The UC professors are taking salary cuts of 8% or more and are being told their retirement accounts are not fully funded, hiring is being curtailed. In the middle of a new analysis piece today in the New York Times on the California budget:
      Classroom sizes are about to explode, and state universities are furloughing professors, cutting class offerings and reassessing, in the case of the University of California, whether the system can remain one of excellence for residents.
      Luca calls it The end of UC Berkeley as we know it and the many other strong campuses in the UC system will not fare well either.

      I've seen vultures across disciplines lining up just getting ready to pounce on the best and brightest of the UC system. Just giving a UC faculty member what they previously had is a big advantage. Maybe the University of California can weather the storm, but we could see a drop from excellence. And that hurts all of us.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 7/22/2009 08:37:00 AM