[Computational Complexity] Annoucing YATB (Yet Another Theory Blog)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23, 2009
      Jon Katz has a blog Random Bits

      We've put it on our blogroll.

      What will it be about? To quote Jon himself:

      The blog will cover random topics, but especially crypto. It was started because there are currently no (active) crypto blogs and I hope this will become, to paraphrase Lance, a meeting place for the crypto community where we would have some discussions, sometimes quite heated, over the issues of concern to our community
      Some advice for Jon and any new blogger:
      1. In your technical posts try to have the first paragraph so that if someone doesn't want to read the rest of it they still get something out of.
      2. Spellcheck!
      3. Will you post every day but almost never make comments on the blog (Bill and Lance model)? Will you post once a week but make lots of comments on your own blog (Scott Aaronson model)? Will you post class notes? (Luca does that. Scott sometimes.) Will you be controversial or stear clear of controversy? (I'll let you guess who does what, it varies at times.) Do you have guest posts? What is your policy on anonymous commenters? There are no right and wrong answers; however, you should have answers.
      4. If you have an idea for a blog try to write it up as soon as possible while you still are enthused about it. If it doesn't work then put it aside--- it may combine well with another idea later.
      5. Keep a backlog of blogs that are timless.
      6. Don't get upset at lack of comments, stupid comments, comments that misinterpret your post, or off-topic comments. You will get all of these.
      7. If you try to make each blog perfect you will have a hard time getting anything out.
      8. Technical posts are harder to write then others and may get tiring (though Lipton's doing just fine with them). Pace yourself on those.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 6/23/2009 10:39:00 AM