[Computational Complexity] Thoughts from STOC

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
      I haven't been to STOC/FOCS since FCRC in San Diego two years ago. Since then I dropped thirty pounds and got a haircut last week. Amazing how many people thought something looked different about me and asked about the haircut.

      I missed the Valiant celebration but it brought a large number of senior theorists who don't often attend STOC/FOCS. I enjoyed seeing and talking with them. Still, despite a relatively easy to reach location (say compared with last year's Victoria), STOC only attracted about 260 attendees, nearly half students. We just don't get draw many non-local attendees who don't have papers in the conference. Though David Johnson told me he's attended every STOC since the early 70's.

      I don't attend many talks at STOC, I prefer to hang in the hallways chatting with people, about research, politics, gossip and baseball. The talks I did attend usually had about five or so good minutes of motivation and results followed by technical details for experts in that particular area. That's probably the right way to give those talks but I was rarely one of those experts.

      And then I see a talk as amazing as Moser's and I realize: This is why I love theory.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 6/03/2009 05:26:00 AM