[Computational Complexity] Games from the Eco-Daughter

    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2009
      My 11-year old daughter took a some courses on computer gaming that used the Greenfoot system and wrote a eco-themed game Trees (requires Java, click "play" then press "enter" to start). It's no Ribbit but then again when I was 11 I hadn't even seen a computer in person, much less programmed one.

      The Greenfoot system uses Java with some built in objects so my daughter with simple coding can create interesting games while learning the basics of object-oriented programming. Pretty cool. Earlier she tried out Alice but found it too much hand holding.

      On the eco theme, my daughter had me watch The Story of Stuff, a twenty minute animation of how consumerism is literally destroying the world. When I tried to argue a few points about the movie with her, she shot back "That's the truth. If you don't like the truth, well neither do I. That's why we have to change it." That's my little Al Gore.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/27/2009 05:48:00 AM