[Computational Complexity] Tom Lehrer turns 9*9 today!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2009
      Today (April 9) Tom Lehrer turns 81=92. To celebrate I post some lesser known Tom L songs. I post all that did not appear on any of his CD's. Note that The remains of Tom Lehrer, his 3-CD boxed set, already had several songs that had not appeared on any of his prior available work. (I got it from Agnes, Thats Math (short version- long version is on Dr. Demento Basement tapes No. 4), Selling Out, I've spending Hannakuh in Santa Monica, L-Y, Silent E, O-U, S-N. L-Y and Silent E had appeared as extras on CD versions of his Vinyl records.) Hence to NOT even appear on the boxed-set makes it rather rare. Or is it? Its on You-Tube so how rare can it be? (I discussed this in an earlier blog here.)

      Derivative Song. Likely did not appear on any CD because the audience for this is too small. Also might have been copyright problems as he used someone elses tune (See comment on THE PROFESSORS SONG later in this post.)

      Decimal. GREAT song. Likely did not appear since its a bit dated and the context is now lost. The best of the rare songs. To the tune of his own New Math

      The professor's song. GREAT song. Don't know why it's not in the boxed set--- no copyright problems since he used a Gilbert and Sullivan Tune which is public domain (Tom L always used his own tunes to avoid legal issues. The only exceptions are this song and The Elements which also used a Gilbert and Sullivan Tune.)

      Subway Song. Not that good. However, note that 90% of Tom L's stuff is excellent. Weird Al has generated many more novelty songs, but only 50% are excellent. So who is better? It depends on how you measure. I, of course, like both of them. Incidentally, Weird Al did one math song for Square One TV: Polka Patterns. At one time that was a rare item in my collection. But now Its on you-tube so how rare can it be? @

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 4/09/2009 06:10:00 AM