[Computational Complexity] Change we can believe in!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2009
      Two issues have been brought up in some blogs lately that I want to comment on. I have opinions on the first two but a strong opinion on a meta-issue.
      1. Should conferences have double-blind referereing? This was brought up by ***SORELLE*** who thinks that double-blind is good, and later followed up by ***LANCE*** who thinks that double-blind is not needed. I think conferences should have it to avoid bias and perceived bias, so I agree with ***SORELLE***. But that is not the point I want to make.
      2. Should PC members be allowed to submit? This was discussed in this blog. 10 years ago I thought NO but over time I've changed my mind---it seems counterproductive to not allow some of the best people in our field to submit. But that is not the point I want to make.
      3. Should these issues be brought up, discussed, with an actual chance of being CHANGED at various business meetings? I STRONGLY think so. Whenever these items are brought up they are shouted down without any real debate. (They are rarely brought up in the first place.) I imagine the following story: Alice goes to CRYPTO and someone brings up stopping doing double-blind submissions. Alice is among the people who shout it down giving the usual arguments against the change, but the real argument is because we've always done it this way. Later in the year Alice goes to STOC. Someone brings up having double-blind submissions. Alice is among the people who shout it down giving the usual arguments against the change, but the real argument is because we've always done it this way.
      CRYPTO does double-blind submissions. COLT allows people on the committee to submit. STOC and FOCS do neither of these. Any of these could change what they do and use the others as a model of how to do it.

      SO, my strong opinion is that these possible changes should be considered seriously. There must be some change we can believe in! Even if it goes a way I disagree with (e.g., COLT no longer allowing PC members to submit) I would be happy to see that change is possible.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 3/30/2009 11:27:00 AM