[Computational Complexity] Algorithms for All

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Last week I visited Edinburgh. Nice new CS building in an ancient university.

      On Tuesday before a lunch talk, someone mentioned a new article the day before in the Guardian, a British paper, about the glory of algorithms with some concern that the article had misled people into thinking algorithms came from mathematics (the article ends with "Mathematicians rule!"). To me any publicity is good publicity but the good faculty at Edinburgh felt CS needed defending. To set the matter straight they decided to write a letter to the Guardian. Things moved very quickly, especially for a British university, and the letter was written, signed by many faculty members and sent by the end of the day.

      I mentioned the Guardian letter and the controversy briefly in my Wednesday post.

      What happened next I learned from Suresh. The Edinburgh letter was published Friday along with another letter from the Operations Research Society claiming algorithms as their own.

      So who owns algorithms? We all do. Roughly CS analyzes algorithms and OR applies algorithms to real-world problems, all often based on important mathematical ideas and theorems. Algorithmic ideas now permeate many other areas of study such as physics, biology and economics. Algorithms rule!

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 3/03/2009 05:27:00 AM