[Computational Complexity] The Office

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 16, 2009
      Suppose you had no specific reason to be on campus. No classes, no talks, no scheduled meetings with students/advisors, no meetings scheduled. Would you go to campus that day?

      Not that long ago the answer would be of course you would. Maybe you might need to read a paper in a proceedings in your office or a journal in the library. You might have to have a short conversation with a colleague. You would need the computer (or secretary) at work to type up your paper.

      Of course all of these activities can now be done electronically. Most of the time we spend at work gets spent on the same Internet we have access to at home or in the coffee shop. So why go to work?

      We miss those random meetings. The people we bump into in the hallways. The tangents we have in lunch time discussions. Sometimes these meetings turn into important research projects or grant proposals. But more importantly they bring a sense of community. Often we get ourselves less attached to our departments, our colleagues and universities as we used to.

      I'm not the first to say it, but as we get more connected we get more isolated. Technology will continue to push us in this direction: Who knows when we will all will take, if not teach, our courses on-line. Just remember you can't network if you are an isolated node.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 2/16/2009 11:12:00 AM