[Computational Complexity] Planes. Fellows. Power.

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2009
      It was a common joke to point out how people really overestimate low or zero probability events. Why in the pre-flight briefing do the flight attendants teach us not one but two ways to inflate our life vests when there has never been a successful emergency water landing of a commercial airplane? Never. Ever. Until yesterday.

      Suresh posts about the new ACM Fellows. Congrats to all!

      Kirk Pruhs asks us to plug the Workshop on the Science of Power Management.

      In particular it would be interesting to see if some interesting complexity theory could be built for energy/power as a resource instead of the usual complexity of space/time. On one hand, it is not immediately obvious how to do this as energy seems quite different than space/time, e.g. I guess there is no energy hierarchy theorem analogous to the space/time hierarchy theorems. On the other hand, I would be surprised if there is just no interesting complexity theory of energy.
      In the Clinton administration it helped to make research relevant to the Internet. In the Bush administration it helped to make research relevant to national security. In the Obama administration it will help to make research relevant to energy and the environment. The beauty of complexity: It's always relevant.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 1/16/2009 09:46:00 AM