[Computational Complexity] Best Job?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2009
      Nicole Immorlica pointed me to a Wall Street Journal article about a ranking of 200 jobs by CareerCast. Number one: Mathematician.

      So what is a mathematician? Does anyone actually get hired to be a mathematician as opposed to a professor, actuary, statistician or quant. The site defines mathematician as

      Applies mathematical theories and formulas to teach or solve problems in a business, educational, or industrial climate.
      But then why are jobs 2 and 3, actuary and statistician, listed as separate jobs.

      Since the list does not contain computer scientist, mathematician is the closest to what I do. So I have the best job! Awesome. Thought I'd still rather be commissioner of Major League Baseball.

      The Rating Methodology uses several categories: Work Environment, Physical Demands, Stress, Income and Outlook. The ratings lack a "fun factor" in any of these categories. Which sounds more fun: Actuary or Lumberjack (number 200 job)?

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 1/13/2009 10:56:00 AM