[Computational Complexity] Predicability in Movies: was there ever a case whe...

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2008
      This post was inspired by HALF of the movie FLIGHTPLAN.

      I have watched HALF of the movie FLIGHTPLAN. In the movie Kyle Pratt (played by Jodie Foster- I didn't know that know that Kyle could be a girls name) takes her 6 years old kid on an airplane, the kid disapears, and the Flight Manifest said she was never there. So the captain and others think that Kyle is nuts.

      Having not seen the rest of the movie yet I wonder which is true: (1) Kyle Foster IS nuts, or (2) there is some weird conspiracy going on. Gee, I wonder which one it will be!

      In the real world I would of course assume (1). But since its a movie I absolutely know that (2) will be the case. The only point of suspense for me is will the final explanation make sense?.

      SO, here is my question: Do you recall ever seeing a movie or TV show where it is clear that EITHER (1) the main character is nuts, or (2) there is a massive conspiracy. and it ends up being (1)? (I don't count if it ends up being a dream.)

      YES, I know that if the main character was just nuts the story might not be as interesting. However, they should have the main character be nuts once in a while so that its not so predicable. That way when watching these things we would have a genuine question and genuine suspense. As for making it interesting- thats their job!

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 12/19/2008 06:52:00 AM