[Computational Complexity] Have We Solved Spam?

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2008
      The amount of spam in my spam folder has dropped below fifty per day down from several hundred a few months ago. The amount of spam that gets through Gmail's filters to my inbox is well under one a day. I'm not sure why. Better spam filters, better enforcement, less economic incentives for spam, maybe even the bad economy is playing a role. While not completely solved, email spam is no longer a significant problem for me.

      This has happened without you having to pay me, solve a CAPTCHA or have your computer solve some hard problem to send me email. I have a mailto link on my home page (albeit generated by javascript code) and my various email addresses show up in plaintext on hundreds of pages scattered over the Internet.

      For those of you who insist on making it painful to send you email (anything beyond a simple click or cut-and-paste without further editing), time to change your ways and not make your fear of spam make extra work for those of us who simply want to say hello, and maybe ask you to review a paper.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 12/18/2008 06:23:00 AM