[Computational Complexity] Is the Medium the Message?

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2008
      Do you care about fonts?

      In other words do you care about how your paper looks? Not the details of the proofs or the quality of the exposition but how the paper looks. The fonts, the margins, the spacing, the neatness of it all.

      I used to care.

      I was in graduate school when the great shift to LaTeX happened. All of a sudden our papers looked great, like finished journal versions right off the printer. I would spend hours on my papers and months on my thesis, making sure there were no overfull boxes, that equations lined up nicely, pagebreaks occurred at good places and hyphenations were done right. Didn't worry about fonts back in those days when we thought Computer Modern looked good.

      Now I don't bother. I still fix the big ugly problems but who really cares if "nondeterministic" is hyphenated properly. As you can see from this beautiful green blog, I don't try that hard on the medium. Though the style of Bill's posts can sometimes make me look like a true artist.

      Truth is you get little value in our field from looking good. So better to spend the time proving new theorems than putting the old ones in a pretty font.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 11/20/2008 08:18:00 AM