[Computational Complexity] Opening up the ACM Digital Library

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      (Guest Post by Kamal Jain)

      Opening Up the ACM Digital Library: An Alternate Method of Payment for the ACM Portal

      The primary objective of the ACM digital library (ACM DL) is to make ACM scientific content accessible. It is currently funded by various methods including subscription fees and some commercial deals, such as referral business. The subscription fee hinders broad access of the content. I've been thinking about how we can make the portal freely available. If the ACM DL is free and open, our scientific research will make more of a contribution to society and human well-being, the first moral imperative listed in the ACM Code of Ethics). Consider the contribution of Wikipedia to our society based on its being free and open.

      Whether we could achieve an open ACM portal and other scientific content lies in the subject area of Creative Capitalism. It is a complex subject and one can perhaps write a dissertation on it with a chapter on free access to social content, i.e., the content whose primary goal is to benefit the society. I have a longer post on this topic, focusing on the opportunity to open up the ACM portal. The paper avoids technical complexity and is easy to follow.

      Feel free to give feedback in the comment section of this blog. If you prefer you may also drop an email to me (firstname_lastinitial @ microsoft.com).

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 9/17/2008 10:08:00 AM