[Computational Complexity] SODA 2008 accepted papers list is out!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2008
      (Posted by request from Claire Mathieu.)

      SODA'09 list of accepted papers is now available. The list also includes abstracts of the papers.
      1. Abstracts of the paper! This is great- I hope FOCS, STOC, COMPLEXITY, and OTHERS do that in the future. Makes it easier to tell if I want to download the paper ahead of time.
      2. Authors who got in CONGRADS!
      3. Authors who got in: make your conference version well written. Make sure that the casual reader knows what you did from the intro. Hilow complete do the proofs have to be? If you don't plan on writing a journal version (shame on you?) then make sure the proofs really are complete.
      4. If the conference version has complete proofs then is it worth getting out a journal version? In one sense you are supposed to since it gets refereed. Also, most Schools count journals more than conferences for promotion. But does refereeing really help? See this and other essay by Dr. Z for some interesting opinions.
      5. SODA has parallel Sessions. What are natural splits? Do people working on Approx algorithms not go to talks by people working on Randomized algorithms? I doubt that. Readers: what are your ideas on how to do parallel sessons? For SODA and in general.
      6. How many members of the COMPLEXITY community go to SODA? How many members of the SODA community to to COMPLEXITY? How can we define this question? We could see how many people who have been to 3 of the last 6 of conference X go to conference Y. I would guess that more COMPLEXITY people go to SODA then SODA people go to COMPLEXITY.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 9/10/2008 10:55:00 AM