[Computational Complexity] The Ultimate Wallet

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2008
      Once in a while a new product comes along, so well-designed, so cool, that I just have to get one. When I visited Yahoo earlier this month, two separate researchers had independently bought one and I instantly fell in love. I dropped some not so subtle hints to my family who got me one for my birthday and I am now a happy man. I'm talking of the All-Ett, a wallet replacement designed to remain thin even holding my many cards. My back pocket has never been more excited.

      The All-Ett solves a problem I shouldn't have. I count 16 plastic cards currently in my wallet and that's only because I make a strong effort to keep the number down. We have the technology for me to hold a single card that can be loaded with the information of all of the other cards. Many universities, including Chicago and Northwestern, now have a single card that serve as ID, libary card, food service and other purposes. But there we have a centralized authority. It would drive the privacy advocates mad, but I'd love a national ID with both a smart chip and RFID and a mechanism that would let any other organization embed needed data on the card.

      Why stop there? I shouldn't need a wallet at all. Every piece of plastic or paper in my wallet, including business cards, pictures of my kids and cash, could be handled by my all-purpose cell phone. It wouldn't be difficult to even have it open doors and allow me to start my car so I wouldn't need to carry keys either.

      But, alas, those days are far away and I'll need to live with my many cards for a while. At least I have a decent place to store them now.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 8/29/2008 07:18:00 AM