[Computational Complexity] Attendence at CCC I: History

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      (This is the first of two postings about Attendencd at CCC. Todays is about history. Next time I post (probably Wedensday) I'll talk about College Park and modern times.)Here is attendence for all years of CCC.
      WhereYearAttendenceComment
      Berkeley1986110co-locate with STOC
      Cornell1987100co-locate with LICS
      Wash, DC198889
      Oregon198963
      Barcelona1990108Europe
      Chicago1991100
      Boston1992100
      San Diego1993123FCRC
      Amsterdam1994110Europe
      Minnesota199580
      Philadelphia199690FCRC
      Ulm199780Europe
      Buffalo199884
      Atlanta199984FCRC
      Florence200066Europe
      Chicago200196
      Montreal2002140Co-located with STOC
      Aarhus200378Europe
      Amherst200482
      San Jose200567
      Prague200675Europe
      San Diego200785FCRC
      College Park200881
      1. As part of FCRC: 123, 90, 84, 85. So lately this has not been a real boon, but not a loss either.
      2. Co-locate with STOC, non-FCRC: 110, 140.
      3. Co-locate with LICS. 100.
      4. Europe Attendence: 108, 110, 80, 66, 78, 75. I suspect that Florence drew so badly because there are no complexity theorists in Italy (at least not since Luca was in High School.)
      5. American non-co-locate, non-FCRC: 89, 63, 100, 100, 80, 84, 96, 82, 67, 81. Note that the two in the 60's were on the West Coast. Chicago did very well: it was there twice and we got 96 and 100. Boston is the other 100. 100 is a suspiciouly round number- I suspect they only had 99.
      6. Lessons Learned: Good to co-locate with stoc, and good to have it in a place that has a strong complextiy community. We might have very high attendence in Boston co-locating with STOC in 2010. Mitigating factor: the price of gas.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 7/07/2008 07:49:00 AM