[Computational Complexity] Would you buy a math book for $160.00?

    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2008
      (REMINDER: Complexity 2008 early-reg deadline is early-reg deadline is June 1.)

      I recently needed a copy of Mathematical Gems III by Ross Honsberger since I found out that a problem I was working on has a variant that is in that book. I didn't mind getting a copy since I have some of his other books and they have lots of nice math problems and concepts. When I went to amazon I found the following website with one difference- there was also a copy available for $10.00, which I bought. Now There are only two left: one for $164.59 and one for $168.98. At that price I would not have bought it (Its in the Library of a nearby school.) (NOTE- by the time you the price may have been reduced.)

      Unless the book contains actual gems, I cannot imagine that its worth $160.00. On the one hand, it is in hardcover and one reviewer gave it 5 stars. On the other hand, $160.00??? I cannot imagine anyone paying that price for it There are many good books of this type (e.g., Math Gems I is around $10.00, Math Gems II is around $27.00, there are plenty of websites of nice math stuff for free), so it is unlikely that someone really needs this particular book that badly. I may be the one who comes closest since I need the reference, but I wouldn't pay that kind of money. This is in contrast to high level monographs which may be the only source on that material. But even that may fade as the web gets more and more for free.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 5/30/2008 10:43:00 AM