[Computational Complexity] The Week Ahead

    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2008
      Neither Bill or I will be attending the upcoming STOC in Victoria. Have no fear, we have once again enlisted an excellent guest poster to keep you all abreast of the latest happenings.

      On Saturday in Seattle, there will be a Visioning Workshop with two goals.

      1. Identify broad research themes within theoretical computer science that have potential for a major impact in the future, and
      2. Distill these research directions into compelling "nuggets" that can quickly convey their importance to a layperson.
      We have workshops like this every now and then (remember Portland?), and it is good for our community to occasionally step back and make the case for theory, both to attract good researchers and funding, but also to ourselves so we don't lose sight of the basic reasons of why we do what we do.

      At the STOC business meeting, Borodin will discuss his co-authored letter about conceptual contributions that has already appeared on Scott's blog. Nobody seriously argues against papers with important conceptual points, rather we have the problem that STOC and FOCS have gotten to the point that they accept only a fraction of the strong papers in a given year and difficult decisions have to be made and it is much easier to recongize a strong technical paper than a strong conceptual one. Still both the STOC and FOCS 2008 committees are fighting back with the new line added to the call.

      Papers that broaden the reach of theory, or raise important problems that can benefit from theoretical investigation and analysis, are encouraged.
      We can only recognize true conceptual greatness when it stands the test of time conflicting with computer science's deadline-driven conference system. Something has to give.

      --
      Posted By Lance to Computational Complexity at 5/15/2008 08:34:00 AM