[Computational Complexity] Laptops in classroom and lectures

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2008
      More students are bringing laptops to class. More faculty are bringing laptops to talks. Is this good, bad, or ugly? Some points
      1. I was sitting in on the best teacher in my dept (Dave Mount) teaching an elective course (so students there wanted to be there) on how to write video games (a topic of interest). Many of the students in the class were using their laptops to surf the net.
      2. Another professor has banned laptops from his class. If a student claims they are taking notes on it, as 5 did, then he demands that they email him the notes (only 1 took him on it).
      3. Is this any different than students doodling or gazing out the window or other ways to distract themselves?
      4. Since attendence is not mandatory, why insist that they not have laptops? I am not asking this rhetorically--- I am tempted by the idea of banning laptops also.
      5. Professors at talks also bring their labtops. We have not developed a culture where this is considered rude. Not clear why we haven't.
      6. Are today's youth better at multi-tasking so that they can do two or more things at once, like surf the web and listen to a talk? Again, I ask this non-rhetorically.
      7. I have no strong opinons here, but I want you to write your so I can borrow them next time I am feeling argumentative.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 4/22/2008 12:40:00 PM