[Computational Complexity] Eight (yes eight) math problems worth $1,000,000

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2008
      Most readers of this blog know of the Millenium Problems. There are seven of them (which I list below) and solving any of them will get you $1,000,000. (The website above has the following bug/feature- when you go to it you get to a description of ONE of the problems with the entire list on the right-hand side. It seems random which problem you get.)
      1. Birch and Winnerton-Dyer Conjecture
      2. Hodge Conjecture
      3. Navier-Strokes Equations
      4. P vs NP
      5. Poincare Conjecture (seems to have already been solved)
      6. Riemann Hypothesis
      7. Yang-Mills Theory
      There is ANOTHER problem that is worth $1,000,000. There is a novel entitled Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture. Its about a mathematican who is obsessed with Goldbach's conjecture. For publicity, the publishers are offering $1,000,000 for a solution to Goldbach's conjecture. Did this publicity stunt work? The book is selling used for $3.48 on amazon, and I borrowed it from a friend. On the other hand, it is very doubtful they will have to pay it anytime soon.

      Its a pretty good book- the math and mathematicians are spot-on. Its a good airplane book, say the kind of book you can read on the airplane on your way to Conf on Computational Complexity 2008.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 4/14/2008 11:38:00 AM