[Computational Complexity] Abuse of Tagging System on amazon

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13 8:51 AM
      Amazon has a feature where a reader can associate a word (called a tag) to a book, really user-defined keywords. However, this can be abused. Consider the following book:
      Theoretical Aspects of Local Search
      1. fraud (131)
      2. lies (119)
      3. fantasy (103)
      4. mythology (94)
      5. morons (69)
      6. illogical (68)
      7. unintelligent (68)
      8. irony (65)
      My my! Is the book really that bad? I recently had it reviewed for my SIGACT NEWS column and it seems like a fine book. Someone is abusing the tag system. But it gets worse. Look at the following book on a similar topic.
      Local Search in Combinatorial Optimization
      1. fraud (131)
      2. lies (119)
      3. breathtaking inanity (111)
      4. fantasy (103)
      5. junk science (71)
      6. problem solving techniques (1)

      What are the odds that exactly 131 people think that both of these books are frauds? that 119 people think both books are full of lies? that 103 people think that both are fantasy? I have it on good authority that these books are not bad. They may be too theoretical for someone's tastes, but thats no reason to trash them 131 times. So what is going on here? My guess: someone or some group does not like the area and has a program that tags things automatically.

      This also happens in the humanities, which is perhaps less surprising since its more subjective.
      The Columbia Anthology of British Poetry
      1. anthologies (1)
      2. avoid at all costs (1)
      3. crazy (1)
      4. cult (1)
      5. evil (1)
      6. fraud (1)
      7. insane (1)
      8. junk science (1)
      9. poetry collection (1)
      10. snake oil (1)
      11. vocational (1)
      12. discenment (1)
      One big difference- people in the humanities have not learned how to write programs that will tag something multiple times.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 3/13/2008 10:50:00 AM