[Computational Complexity] AI overhyped!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2008
      (A commenter left an off-topic comment on my last entry. INSERT GENDER-NEUTRAL PRONOUN HERE SINCE I DO NOT KNOW GENDER OF COMMENTER raisesd a question of interest. I have made a blog entry out of it. (NOTE- if you want a topic discussed on this blog, better to email Lance or I directly rather than make an off-topic comment.))

      Kurzweil and others in AI think that computers will surpassing human intelligence in about 30 years. For example, see this overly optimistic entry on wikipedia. The media also seems to over-hype things. For example, when Deep Blue beat Kasporov there were headlines about how computers are smarter than people. These types of article seem to overlook the computational complexity of some of these problems. (Though one can say that we work on worst case and asy results while they work on ``real world problems''.)

      My impression of Computer Chess is that they originally wanted a domain where computers could learn and adapt, but winning became too important and computers became too fast, so that (very clever) brute force searches took over. They may have more luck with the game of Go which is likely not able to be won with (even very clever) brute force. However, the whole story seems to be to show the computers are nowhere near human intelligence. (I grant that these terms are hard to define.)

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 3/07/2008 10:48:00 AM