[Computational Complexity] FOCS 2008 Call For Papers is available

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2008
      FOCS call for papers is out:here and here.
      1. The CFP does not have a list of topics.
      2. I have never been able to differentiate FOCS from STOC and most people say STOC-FOCS as though it is one word. If someone else knows of a difference they had in the past, please enlighten.
      3. The content of both of them have changed over time. In Complexity its gone from more logic-based to more combinatorics-based. In Algorithms I expect that its changed but don't know the paradigm shift. If somone else does, please enlighten.
      4. When I have knowledge of a paper (e.g., I'm a co-author or proofread it carefully for the author) that is rejected from COMPLEXITY and go to the conference, I have one of the following opinions afterwards:
        1. There is NO paper here that is so obviously worse than mine that it should have been turned down and mine should have gotten in. (This is quite common.)
        2. There ARE papers that are obviously worse than mine and should have been turned down, and mine should have gotten in. (This is very rare.)
      5. By contrast, for STOC-FOCS, I usually have a hard time telling how a paper compare with ones that make it. It can be hard to compare a paper in (say) Complexity with one in (say) Algorithms.

      --
      Posted By GASARCH to Computational Complexity at 2/26/2008 09:37:00 AM