Names

  • Steve McGhee
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2011

      Almost unnoticed, the first of the 2014 World Cup qualifiers took place this week.

      Mostly involving those countries way down at the foot of the rankings.

      Some great names in the line-ups, though.

      Bahamas beat Turks & Caicos 4-0……..in the Bahamas team were Happy Hall, Lesley St. Fleur and Terry Tiny

      Bit of a “family affair” for the Caicos team – all three Glinton brothers played. Peter, Gavin and Duane.

      Laos hammered Cambodia 6-2………the Laos team are a commentator’s nightmare.

      Their attacking threesome are: Soukaphone Vongchiengkham, Keoviengphet Liththideth and Manolom Phomsouvanh.

      On the other hand, the Cambodian team are the opposite with surnames like Touch, Sos, Um and Lay.

      Montserrat are the only nation in the world ranked below San Marino – and they finally managed to put a team together

      for their home game with Belize.

      Given most of the island is uninhabitable after that volcano, they did pretty well to only lose 5-2.

      And in front of 151 spectators, too, which may well be their highest ever home crowd.

      Finally, in the battle of the Virgins, the US Virgin Islands beat the British Virgin Islands 2-0.

    • Mike Page
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
        Message
        Steve

        Didn't Palestine also play Afghanistan. I'm not sure if it was a World Cup qualifier though. I think it
        ended 1-1.

        Mike

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 5, 2011
          Steve

          Didn't Palestine also play Afghanistan. I'm not sure if it was a World Cup
          qualifier though. I think it
          ended 1-1.

          Mike

          **Yep. And 3-1 to Palestine on aggregate, so they go on to meet one of the
          bigger nations in the next round.(Might be Thailand).
          Nepal got through stage one for a change, too. Didn't realise their manager
          was ex-Spurs, Rangers and England loudmouth Graeme Roberts.
          I wonder how he finds life in Kathmandu?
          Makes a change from Glasgow on a Saturday night!